Before we will know that how to reset iMac? We have to know,
Why do we need to reset the iMac?
There are many possible reasons for which we have to reset iMac. If we face some problems when we use the iMac for a long period. Like when we use the iMac and suddenly it starts to work slow. It also starts to hang sometimes. The reasons behind these problems may be from viruses. When we use the internet on our iMac and visit unknown sites. Then due to this many harmful viruses attack our iMac. Now the viruses which come on our iMac cause problems related to hanging and working slowly on our device. So, to fix these types of issues we have to reset iMac.
We also face problems related to hardware and storage. When we use the iMac then sometimes it automatically shuts down and then again switches on. Many applications also don’t work properly as they used to work before. So, before buying a new iMac we have to try to fix these issues. To fix this we can try to reset iMac. There are other types of reasons also which need to reset the iMac.
Like the problems related to storage.
When we give over iMac to someone else or sell it to anyone. Then we have to clean our storage. We have to clear all our data. We have to uninstall all the software and game applications which we had installed previously. All the settings also which are done by us need to be reconfigured. The accounts which are linked on our iMac also need to be unlinked. Now, to clear all data, reconfigure settings and unlink accounts we have to reset the iMac.
What happens after we reset iMac?
When we complete the reset process of our iMac. Then after that, we let our device delete the data that was on the iMac. The software applications which were installed by us will also get uninstalled. The personalization and the settings which we have done according to us will also get restored to its default settings. The accounts which we have linked to our iMac also get unlinked.
So, once we will reset the iMac. Then we will no longer be able to get access to our previous files. We will no longer have the photos and videos. If we will want to get the settings according to us then we have to again change the settings and personalization.
How to reset iMac?
: If your iMac is also facing problems related to working slow or hanging. But you don’t want to purchase a new iMac. Then you can also solve all the issues by resetting your iMac.
To know the process of resetting the iMac. You have to read the procedure given below properly:
- To start the process first you have to reboot your iMac. To do this you have to first find the power button provided on the iMac.
- Once you will get the button used for turning on the iMac. Then you have to hold this button and press it for at least 4 to 5 secs.
- Now, when you will press the button for several seconds. Then you will get a small window from there you have to click on the “reboot” option. after doing this your iMac will start the process of the reboot.
- When your iMac will turn off. Then you have to hold the command and the R keys together and then press them till the screen of iMac will not show the logo of Apple.
- Once you will press both the keys together. Then your iMac will reach the recovery window.
- Now, in this window, you have to give your user details and the password properly. When you will provide your details and password properly then you will get access to operate this recovery window.
- After that, if you want to clear all your data and settings from the iMac. Then you have to choose the option of “disk utility”.
- Now, when you will open the menu of disk utility. Then there you have to select the disk in which all of your data is stored.
- Once you will select the disk. Then you will get the option of “erase” on the top of the window.
- Now, you have to select the “erase” option. when you will select this option then all of your data will be removed from the iMac.
- After removing your data and settings you have to reinstall the macOS on your iMac. To do this you have to go to the menu of macOS utilities.
Now, when you will reach the macOS utility menu. Then there you will see the option for reinstalling the macOS. You have to choose this option after which your macOS will install again.
Now the process of resetting your iMac will complete. If you have backup your data then you can also restore it with the help of the menu of mac utilities.
How to reset the iMac password?
When you have forgotten the password that you use while logging in to your iMac. In this situation to get access to the iMac you have to know that how to reset the iMac password? If you don’t know the process then follow the procedure given here in the article properly:
- First of all, you have to open the menu of Apple. To do this you have to click on the apple icon given on the screen.
- Now, when you will select that option. After that, you have to reboot your iMac.
- Once the iMac will start the process of a reboot. After that, you have to click on the account of the user. Now when you will have to provide the password there you have to choose the question mark icon.
- Now, when you will open the menu by choosing the question mark icon. Then you have to choose the option given for resetting the password using the Apple ID.
- Once you will select the option. Then after that, you will be asked for your ID for Apple and its password. Provide your user details and then click on the option of “next”.
- Now, after that, you have to properly see all the instructions given on the menu. Once you will follow them all that you will be able to reset your password for your iMac.
This process will only be done when you will have your Apple ID and the password for this ID.
How to reset iMac using windows keyboard?
If you want to reset the iMac. But you are using a USB keyboard which is used for windows. Then to reset your iMac you must know the process through which you can reset iMac using windows keyboard.
Now, to learn the process to reset iMac using a windows keyboard. Follow the step given below:
- First of all, you have to power off the iMac. You can do this by using the power button provided on your iMac.
- After that, you have to again power on your iMac. Once your iMac will start the process to turn and you will see the logo of Apple appearing on the screen of iMac.
- Then you have to hold the windows button and R button together and then press both of them at the same time. With this, you have to also have to hold the power button of iMac and press it.
- Once you will perform this activity. Then you will reach the recovery menu of your iMac.
- Now, in the menu of recovery, you have to go to the option of “disk utility”. Now in this menu, you have to select the hard disk of your iMac.
- After selecting that, you will get the option to erase everything from the disk of your iMac. You have to choose this option through which all of your data installed previously on your iMac will get cleared.
- Once you will complete this process then you have to left the menu of disk utility.
- Now, you have to choose and open the menu for macOS utility. So, in this menu, you will get the option of reinstalling your MacOS.
- You have to just click on this reinstalling option. After that, your MacOS will start the process of reinstalling.
When the macOS of your iMac will install again then the process of resetting your iMac will finish. You have to wait for at least 45 to 50 minutes to finish this process.